Kwikset is an American company that manufacturers high-security residential locks and locksets. The company joined the Smart Home industry in 2013, launching the 1st Generation Kwikset Kevo the same year. While, the company saw success with this Smart lock, consumers were confused to why there be stipulations on usability of the electronic key codes. To phase out this issue, Kwikset decided to give consumers 5 extra e-keys, with the hopes that everyone involved would have a more enjoyable Kevo experience. Some consumers were satisfied with their first innovative Smart lock, while others continued to experience issues to no avail of Kwikset.
2nd Generation Kwikset Kevo – A New Beginning
The Kwikset 1st Generation Kevo was a learning experience for both Kwikset and consumers. Well, the company has decided to give it another shot at trying to win consumers over, with the recent launch of the 2nd Generation Kevo. This time around, Kwikset decided to take a different approach to the Smart lock’s blueprint, by enhancing its reliability, functionality, security, and usability.
Improved Installation Design
Kevo 1st Gen was similar to other Kwikset deadbolts, which many consumers found desirable. Upon the first glance of Kevo 2nd Gen, you will not notice any differences in the two models. However, the design has been altered quite a bit, beginning with the interior portion of the lock. To eliminate any existing installation issues, the interior was revamped. The metal interior is now more compact and equipped with an easy-access window and connectors that are color-coded for an easier installation. Now, Kevo can be installed with a traditional screwdriver and the interactive installation guide embedded into the app UI.
Multiple Access Options
Users will have multiple access options available to them once they download the associated Kevo app to their smartphone or tablet.
- Touch-to-Open – With your app-enabled device on your persons, you can simply touch Kevo with the tip of your finger to unlock it. This lock is so intelligent that it monitors your location, so the unlocking mechanism will only engage, when you are on the outside of the door.
- Remote Access – By upgrading to the Kevo Plus app, you will gain remote access capabilities. Once this process is complete, you will be able to grant access to visitors, monitor access history, check to see if Kevo is locked or unlocked, secure your home from anywhere around the globe.
- Mechanical key – The lock is embedded with a keyhole, so you can unlock it utilizing a mechanical key. This access option will come in handy for dead battery emergencies.
- Electronic Key Code – Homeowners can now share unlimited temporary electronic key codes with friends, family members, and public service providers. Temporary e-keys are active for up to 24-hours and will be deleted when the specified time period has expired. Two anytime e-keys are also included in the package, but these do not have a set expiration time.
- Key Fob – A key fob is also available for an additional cost. Each key fob will support up to 25 Kevo 1st or 2nd Gen Smart locks. You must be within the 5’ Bluetooth range to activate the key fob.
To eliminate key bumping and lock picking criminal activity, Kwikset decided to embed Kevo 2nd Gen with their patented New Advanced SmartKey Technology. The lock also complies with BHMA and ANSI Grade 2 standards for a higher-level security. For individuals that are perpetually forgetful, there is the auto re-locking feature, which activates after 30 seconds of inactivity.
- Apple Watch
- Apple iOS – 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, and SE
- Nexus 5X, 6, 6P, and 9
- Android Wearables
- Samsung Note 4 (Note 4 Edge)
- Android S5 and higher
- Third-party companies – Skybell, Honeywell, Ring, and Nest
The 2nd Gen Kevo is definitely and upgrade from the previous version. The LED ring illuminates a different color, depending on the initiated action or situation. Every access event initiates a notification, alerting the homeowner that a visitor is entering or exiting their home. There is a one-time fee for the Kevo Plus app upgrade, but no monthly fees to worry about thereafter. You will also receive a Bluetooth-enabled gateway with the upgrade to give you remote control abilities. Kwikset hasn’t confirmed whether or not there will be an Amazon Echo or Apple HomeKit integration available in the near future. This would definitely be a great treat for everyone involved.